Test card generator for L3-3 .. looking for alpha testers

Brand name believed to be KALIBR.
Admin19
Site Admin

Re: Test card generator for L3-3 .. looking for alpha tester

Post by Admin19 »

I have a request about the auto range setting for the Anode current. This option is very nice and ideal for the not experienced users.

I do have situations sometimes, where I want a fixed range. Like test a 60mA tube on the 75mA scale is safer, than show the 150mA scale. Also I have better resolution then.

Question: Is it possible to add a drop down menu like this, for the anode current scale:

Auto
1,5mA
3,0 mA
7,5 mA
etc (all ranges follow)

The same for the transconductance scale.

So I can choose to set it on auto, OR force a fixed range

Myself (and Marc) we have made a three scale meter, so the "30" and "75" scales show up nice. However normally the users have the "150" scale only, and you may prefer a forced range in that scale. Like you will prefer to measure an ECC83 on 1.5mA so you can read the scale easier. The typical scale you need perhaps not the highest accuracy is the transconductance scale. So mysefl I found it very annoying having to calculate a "30" fulls scale from the "150" scale all of the time, so divide by 3 every measurement is not nice to do. So just set most tubes to the 15 or 150 scale, and simply use that. Like measure 6SN7 with it's 2,5mA/V on the "15" scale. It's more convenient. So when you have "auto" or forced settings, you can adapt it better to your needs. Later I made the three scale meter to solve this.

The "auto" function is ideal to have a first card quickly, and then in a second step, you can adapt the ranges to your own ideas and needs. This request may be not so quickly to implement, but i can say from using the L3-3 so many years, it's very important.

THANKS for all the good work. This is really magnificent. Many L3-3 users will love it. P.s. as forum moderator, I would support it if you add a paypal donation link to your thread. You deserve it, it's just an idea, and it's your own choice of course.

Jac
Attachments
new-meter1.jpg
new-meter1.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 18703 times

cerker

Post by cerker »

Question: Is it possible to add a drop down menu like this, for the anode current scale:

Auto
1,5mA
3,0 mA
7,5 mA
etc (all ranges follow)
Should be no problem at all, since choosing the scale is already a specific function which is called by a chain of comparision, easy to override. But at this time, I want to concentrate on verification of especially the connection algorithm, since this is the most critical (in terms of risk of damage) part of the software, even it's implementation is actually quite simple. I just want to know that this part is working correctly before adding any new features. If it's all okay, adding the adjustable scales should be 1-2 evenings of straightforward work.
I would support it if you add a paypal donation link to your thread. You deserve it, it's just an idea, and it's your own choice of course.
Thanks, but I don't want to make any money with it. I just can't guarantee that the software will not cause any damage to testers or tubes and I'm not sure if I can work that often on it in the future .. and if someone "pays" me, in my opinion he has a right to get something working in a reasonable time.

anton

Post by anton »

Hello Christian
Excellent job you have done! Really great software. I have made several cards and checked these, so far so good.
But when making a card for a EF50 tube I found the following:
The socket for these tube (B9G no. 15) has a 1 kΩ resistor in series with pin 6, wit’s used for EF50 cathode.
In the tester there are more sockets with resistors in the leads, maybe it’s an idea to display a popup menu when selecting an electrode other than G1 for that pin wit’s hold a resistor on it.
Many thanks for this great work!
Best regards,
Anton

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

Well I will be getting my L3-3 soon and I would love to take part in this test (as soon as I figure out what's what and how to use it). I think I'll be needing all the help I can get. Can't wait to get it.

thanks
J.

cerker

Post by cerker »

Good evening again,

the next version will take a while. I ran into some conceptual errors, which seem to force me to redo large parts of the SW .. because extensions more and more end up in crappy workarounds which are very prone to errors. A lot of data is hardcoded and hard to edit/extend. I already expected to run into such a problem, because I started without a clear software concept .. but there was no way to do a concept before, because I've never done a software like that before so I had to figure out how to do it at all first.

Good news: I got my L1-3 (the version with the rotary switch for line calibration) a few days ago .. and although they dented the case while shipping it's working just perfectly in every respect. So I finally can do tests and research on my own.

Thanks so far,
Christian

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

sorry for the silly question but which tube socket would be used for the ECC83 tube?

anton

Post by anton »

Hi Jimmy
For the ECC8xx series you need socket 11, look at the testers diagram .
You will see socket 12 has not all pins connected.
Best Regards
anton

Mosh86

Post by Mosh86 »

Hi, great program! It possible to use the Russian language in the interface? I can help with translation into Russian. I can help you use the L3-3. My English lang is very bad ;)

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

is the L3-3 able to test the EL503 power tube?

Mosh86

Post by Mosh86 »

Yes, the characteristics suited to check with L3-3. I have not found a test card is not present. You can try to make it on electric circuit of tube tester, or with the help of this program.