Post by Timofey »

this is step 2
Attachments
step2.jpg
step2.jpg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 11274 times

jimmy74

Re: My new L3-3

Post by jimmy74 »

I have followed your instructions and glued the broken part of plastic which was part of the nut holder in the top panel of the meter. The meter itself was only screwed to the panel with 2 screws. Please read description on each photo here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73835524@N ... 998505117/

the last 5 photos I have posted today. What to do next? Would hot glue work better than the plastic resin which I had to break inorder to unscrew the 4 rear screws?

Timofey

Post by Timofey »

small cracks and the broken-off slices don't influence the general working capacity in any way. :D
the museum piece isn't necessary to you? the tool for operation (as a saw or a hammer or a screw-driver) is necessary to you.
use glue that it is more than nothing flew away and use the instrument for measurement of parameters of tubes.
to me instruments in an awful cosmetic status met, but they worked quite operationally.
especially you the instrument will use houses or simply indoors, and these are very sparing operating conditions. it was planned that this instrument will be used in big army warehouses and other adverse conditions.
so make calibration of yours L3-3 and Enjoy!
;)

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

I fully understand your words Timofey, but I payed for a working tester, and instead I received a tester that need parts to work properly and in safe conditions without risks of getting electrocuted. The meter problems and other things I have now found out are all due to shipping, but the fuse bypass and no ground are all because the seller has modded it this way and there was no mention of this in the auction. How do I lift the lid on socket 14? It is very very stuck!

thanks

anton

Post by anton »

Jimmy
The cap of the socket # 14 can only lift for a few millimetre, otherwise it will break, so be careful!
About the panel meter, it’s is the ever repeating sad tale about ebay...
This is not the instrument wit’s came originally with this tester.
Tester build date 1974, instrument build date 10 years later…
That’s why the (previous owner ?) use only 2 screws to fit the instrument.
Your tester originally came with an instrument that uses 4 pan head screws to fit (throw) the instrument and uses a nut under the chassis, see picture.
Should be no really problem, however, over the years instruments with different internal resistant has been used, so after repair carefully calibration has to be carried out.
Best regard,
Anton
Attachments
meter older versions.jpg
meter older versions.jpg (16.34 KiB) Viewed 11266 times

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

Anton I immagined it would have been so.... the other 2 screw holes are practically impossible to reach from underneath... I'm wondering where would I be able to find the correct type of meter for this version and production date of the tester?

thanks

anton

Post by anton »

Jimmy
The most obvious place to find such a meter probably will be…….ebay
I’ll think they are hard to find, but not impossible, you need a lot of patience and some luck.
At the time I was looking for an instrument to replace a defective one in a TV7 tube tester.
I looks almost impossible to find one, so I made a solution with a digital meter.
A few months later I was lucky to get one (on ebay) for a reasonable price.
What I want to say, if you wait long enough everything's for sale, you need a little bit of luck to speed it up.
For the time being I would suggest to use the meter that you have cleaned and repaired so you can use the tester.
regards,
Anton

Timofey

Post by Timofey »

Dear Jimmy!
by a lucky chance I have a new operational instrument for L3-3.
:D

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

Timofey - mine isn't broken, I fixed it up and when I receive the parts you sent me I will turn the tester on. The meter on mine as Anton says is not correct for that year production, it should be top mount as shown in the photo. What sort of meter do you have?

thanks