Problem with new L3-3 please help!

Brand name believed to be KALIBR.
alexfa

Problem with new L3-3 please help!

Post by alexfa »

Good evening to all
I recently bought the L3-3 off ebay username: sunnygirl505
Item number: 300918041965

I chose to buy from this seller because it indicates that it is new, calibrated and fully functional condition!

After reaching the tester the first picture was beautiful outside box was flawless! In potentiometers were some oxidation but did not bother. The cards look new and the manual! Additional tubes not look new and some had black marks! I opened the fuse holder which selects and the supply voltage and found that fuse had placed three wires! I put it back in place.

I put the cable to the mains and switch on to heat as described in instructions. The tester after a bit faded .. I opened the safety and found that it had blown. I replaced the fuse reopened the switch and after a few seconds again burned.

I contacted the seller and told me that tester was double tested before shipping and this must be some problem in transit!

Externally as I said was excellent with no sign! I turned to see and internally. I found that there was no sign to indicate that something is shorted.

I contacted the seller again and after inform that nothing happened on the transfer request one of three
1. To refund me 250 euro for repair
2. To send it back and send me another one in full working condition + the cost I would pay to return
3. To send it back and refund me all the money I paid + the cost I would pay to return

He replied that because the high cost 150-200 euros returned, better to have it repaired but can not give me so much because the repair costs 20-30 dollars in her country and reaches 80-90 dollars in other countries.

I contact a professional technician who proceeded to diagnosis. Found many small problems (burned resistors) but the main thing is that the primary of the transformer is shorted! The cost would be at least 250 euro!!

Again I contacted the seller and informed diagnosis and demand
1. To refund me 250 euro for repair
2. I send it back and refund me all the money I paid + the cost I would pay to return

She told me to send it back and she will make a refund in accordance with the rules of ebay!
I find it unfair that happens, she sent me something that does not match the description and she wants me to pay with the cost of shipping.

Can someone help me please; What do you suggest me?

Thanks
Alexander

jimmy74

Re: Problem with new L3-3 please help!

Post by jimmy74 »

Hi welcome to the forum,
I'm not exactly sure what you found in the fuse holder? But it does sound like you (or the seller) did select the wrong voltage for your countries mains AC voltage, if the fuse was the wrong type and the voltage selection was on say 110v instead of 220v that would short the primary windings of the power transformer.

J.

alexfa

Post by alexfa »

alexfa

Post by alexfa »

jimmy74 wrote:Hi welcome to the forum,
I'm not exactly sure what you found in the fuse holder? But it does sound like you (or the seller) did select the wrong voltage for your countries mains AC voltage, if the fuse was the wrong type and the voltage selection was on say 110v instead of 220v that would short the primary windings of the power transformer.

J.
Fuse is also a voltage selector. That's why I open it first to be sure that is on 220v. Fuse was blow out and replaced with 3 wires look at photo and you will see exactly what I mean

jimmy74

Post by jimmy74 »

I would send it back and ask the seller to give a refund for both tester and both shipping costs, I really don't think that tester was working when he sent it to you.. too many terribly burnt parts and is definitely not NOS.

Doc10

Post by Doc10 »

If only the mains transformer is shorted, that would not burn those resistors. When I see the wire, soldered on the fuse, this was just a drity person, preparing it for Ebay sales. You must count with everything. That means also, perhaps something small is short circuited, like only a high voltage capcitor, or a wire. You just need to analyse now, where the problem is coming from. If the mains transformer is really shorted, the tester is junk, but probably it is not shorted. You should try to connect 220V directly to the transformer, so all the internal 220V wiring is out of the circuit. Perhaps it is not as bad as it seems.

I would give the seller the full program.

1) Give him a negative feedback. Make sure you write no insults, or he can have it removed. Just write, inside it is burned, and it is not conforming to the description. If he replies with lies, just reply also, and say it is not true. Like that Ebay can not remove it. This makes it vers hard for him to sell more testers. He will hate that, and wanst the feedback removed. Be careful with feedback removal in return for money, that is illegal at Ebay, and your feedback gets removed again. Some power sellers are very good at that, and they require Ebay to remove negative feedback if against Ebay rules. So just promise to be very willing to change the feedback if the case is solved well.

2) File a Paypal complaint. That will remove the money from his acount, and he gets problems with Paypal. This will spark a discussion on Paypal, and you must understand this is read by Paypal personal which can be a stupid woman or a some students doing part time work. Often fully unqualified people. So stay cool and keep it simple. Just say he send you a broken product, messed up with bad repairs. You need to call paypal. CALL THEM. This helps to make your case clearer. When they buy the case from you, you have 90% won. The discussion in Paypal, stay cool, and react with 8 days delay. So not too many junk gets filed. Then, in the end, Paypal decides probably: You get your full payment back, after the seller receives the tester back. Backshipment cost, you must probaly pay youself, that is all you loose, but shipment from the Ukraine you get back. You get normally the full payment back.

Good luck with it!

alexfa

Post by alexfa »

After many futile attempts to find a solution with the seller, I decide to open a case.
Ebay asked me to send pictures showing the problem.
After a few days informed me that the case is in my favor and I will get a full refund (excluding postage to send it back) provided that I'll send it back.
The seller sent me a message if I still interested to give me 250 euros to repair it.
After a while without having done something became a full refund and the case was closed!

alexfa

Post by alexfa »

Τhank you for helping!