Testing Voltage Regulators on the L3-3

Brand name believed to be KALIBR.
kaputt

Testing Voltage Regulators on the L3-3

Post by kaputt »

Hello! I was wondering if there's a way to test gas voltage regulator tubes (0A3, etc) on an L3-3?

Thanks,
Daniel

Admin19
Site Admin

Re: Testing Voltage Regulators on the L3-3

Post by Admin19 »

Sure, there is nothing the L3-3 can NOT do :)

Begin searching the cards you have, for the Russian types. You can try to use those cards if there are any, and modify it.

If there is none, just set up a new tube, and make your own card.

kaputt

Post by kaputt »

So I did and it worked fine.

Just how the heck do I measure transconductance of a voltage regulator with the L3-3????

Just kidding ;)

Admin19
Site Admin

Post by Admin19 »

good joke ;) You should try to measure the gain. Then transconductance is gain devided by plate impedance.

edwardmaya

Post by edwardmaya »

Dish present is in MA DC (most pipes will be between 5-50 ma), so start the shorting bar and position brings across plate content. Heaters present is AC amplifiers, usually 0.6-3 amplifiers, so start the shorting bar and position brings across the heating unit content. Specifications can be drawn from the pipe details linens and plate shapes to give plate present at 150V and heating unit present specs (there are several online resources that offer extensive pipe details information)

Admin19
Site Admin

Post by Admin19 »

You can take the original card for the SG4S Voltage regulator. That is the Russian equivalent for OD3 = VR150. To make it more fun, the Russians use other letters. So SG4S is written different. Like "Cn4c" or so. You can test probably every regulatior that excists, you just need to understand the universal card better, and then make your own cards. There is no quickie for making new cards. The hard way, is learn to understand te universal card. Pin by pin, what will it do, and why. Use the texts on the universal card, this requires self study, but this is the most versatile tester I know if, it pays off to learn to understand it.

Jac